Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Southern Night

After a nice run and swim combo I was imagining a really yummy Southern inspired meal. I had BBQ Riblets in the freezer (Garden Burger) and wrapped them in foil and put them in the oven for about 20 minutes.

I made this recipe from FreshDirect.
Mashed Cauliflower
6 cups water
Kosher salt
1 pound cauliflower, separated into medium-sized florets
2 tablespoons Earth Balance
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup grated cheese (Vegan version)
White pepper


1. Pour the water into a heavy bottomed pot, add 1 1/2 tablespoons salt, and bring to a boil over high heat. Add the florets and cook until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain.

2. Return the florets to the pot over low-medium heat and cook for 3 minutes to evaporate any excess liquid. Add the Earth Balanc, oil and cheese. Break up the florets and incorporate the other ingredients with a potato masher, and season generously with salt and pepper. Add small can canned corn (I used just regular sweet corn, I bet creamed would be even better).

I also made the store-brand boxed corn muffins and veganized the recipe.

All in all, it turned out quite good!

I like the mashed cauliflower better with a little mustard mixed in as well.

No comments: